Saturday, May 26, 2007

The First 100 Days of Insanity:
Of Course That's Just My Opinion!

Holy Crap! That was quick. The blog is only a month and a half or so old. You may not get Quality here folks but you sure get I have strong opinions, and I do speak them, loudly and frequently. If I believe something is wrong, I do not hesitate to say so. I don't see anyone stepping up to do much these days - it's all talk and no action. It seems apathy is reaching an all time high and insanity is taking its place.

I've been a blogger for a whopping 100 days, and it's been a delightful and educational, and fun experience. I feel like it’s my birthday today because this is my 100th blog post since I started blogging back in February. As such, I was contemplating the significance of this blog and I have come to the realization that it has helped me more than I could have ever imagined. I am constantly reading other blogs, investigating news stories, searching the web, networking and trying to keep up with trends in technology, and of course, following the careers of Paris Hilton and Knute the Cute! Who would have ever imagined that I would gain so much knowledge just by doing blog?


I have quite a few observations about my blogging experience, so here goes:


1. The more a blogger uses the pronoun “I,” the less he has to say. Many bloggers apparently believe that people not only give a crap about everything they say, but that these people are hanging on to every word. I know they don't but do I really care? Nope. Heck, I put so many words in some of my stories even I skim over them when I'm reading them. Just look at this paragraph...there's 5 "I's". If you've ready to this point...STOP. Move on. The words that follow in this paragraph were put here to test you.



2. There isn't any money in blogging. Unless I do some earth-shattering story I don't think I'm going to make millions doing this blog. Advertising revenues don't add up to much, but there are other significant rewards like helping people change the world..like my 6 Degrees sidebar soliciting donations for the USO. I got that idea from actor Kevin Bacon and thought it was a good thing to do. Somebody donated $25.00 and whoever you are, I thank you! And the USO thanks you. That's what doing this blog is all about...helping change the world, one step at a time!


3. I realize that the lives of celebrities are just as screwed up as mine. I look at Paris Hilton. I look at Anna Nicole. Both of them are more insane than I am. And thank God for that! I work in the entertainment business and I find it to be a unique place, with unique individuals, who are no better off than me or you...they just get their asses kissed a lot more!




4. There is some news out there that most people just don't read. I guess I try to put that stuff here in Discover Insanity. But who wants to read just hard news? It's the commentary that makes the difference. Like how much waste our government spends. And how illegal aliens and criminals are allowed to get away with crap that you and I could never get away with. It's always been, and always will be, the goal of this blog to reveal the truth...along with my opinion of course, which may be wrong. You don't have to agree with me, that's like kissing my ass.


5. I saw Gene Simmons of "Kiss" the other day. What a nice guy. I worked with him years ago when I was doing a show for VH1. He may look radical and be an insane rock star but he loves America. Just like me. this is the best country in the world. Where else can you rant crap like I do? The only thing that bugs me is the lack of respect for authority that is becoming more and more prevalent in our society. I don't agree with President Bush's position on Iraq. Most people don't. But he was elected and has a job to do. He may not be doing it the way you or me wants it done but the bottom line is this. He is the President and we should respect that office, not matter who is in it. To me, he's not Bush, W, or George, he's President Bush and that's the respect he deserves.

6. We've lost patriotism here in America. We burn the flag in protest. That pisses me off. Guys in Iraq are dying for my right to do this blog. And I thank them. My Dad served in the Navy and flew the flag every chance he got. I loved that about him. He knew what it meant to serve his country. I hate reading stories about these kids who are dying over there. We need to give these guys the credit they are do no matter how small. Fly that flag people! And if you're in a Starbucks and see a solider waiting for a cup of coffee...buy it for him. If you're in line at the airport and see a soldier waiting behind you, let him in front of you. You may piss off a few people but guess what. It's the soldier who's protecting our country from the idiots in Iraq. Love them and respect them and take care of them. Fly that Flag!

7. This blogging thing is a great way to voice your opinion. It isn't that hard to do and most of us have an opinion anyway that we want someone to hear. That's what I do. I find stuff I think my readers would like to read and report on it. I comment on it. I rant on it. That's what I do. I love reading some the opinions of other people, some of whom are bloggers. Like Samantha burns (read her post here) who is so fed up with Cheryl Crow and Earth day that she used a whole wad of toliet paper on Earth Day to wipe her butt! I was laughing hysterically. Who the heck uses one sheet? I guess Cheryl does!


8. I've found that I really love life. I love my family. I love my job. I've had the chance to reflect on many of the good times and bad times in my life in doing this blog. I don't think I'm going to change the world doing it but maybe, just maybe, I can help my readers to see the good in life. Turn to the optimistic side and bury the pessimism. See the glass as half full, not half empty. Smile instead of frown. Laugh instead of cry. Let out that fart instead of holding it in! And laugh about it...I do!



9. By doing this blog I've had the chance to tell you some of the really cool things about Technology. Like where we're going with Hi-Def TV. And my gadgets section...that's a blast to do. There is so much happening out there in the world and most of it is electronic. I think one of the greatest gifts to mankind is Tivo. How did we ever live without it? I mean, I can record a show, pause a show, skip through commercials and never have to load a VHS tape. In a couple of years people are going to ask what VHS even is. That blows my mind. It's now easier and cheaper to get a DVD recorder than a VHS machine. The computer age is definitely here and if you're not a part of it, well, you're probably not reading this.

10. Another thing this blog has given me a forum to impart some wisdom and inspiration. Here are a few random rules about life that you may want to put somewhere and heck, it's my blog so I'm going to share a few. Here goes. Don’t confuse fun with fulfillment, or pleasure with happiness. Hating hurts you more than the person you hate. The easy way is rarely the best way. Control your attitude or it will control you. And finally, it’s more important to be significant than successful!


Okay folks, I'm curious: Who reads my blog? I've had some comments on some of my posts. But counted over all postings it was not that much. But that's ok (I'm not that greedy). But now, at least for this 100th post, I'd like to get a bit more response. I'd like to hear from my readers. Feel free to add your comments and let me know what you think of Discover Insanity! I wish to thank all my friends, readers and fellow bloggers who have encouraged me, all along the way.

Finally, a little story for you: At 11:00 pm a few weeks ago, my wife asked me, “What are you doing?” I wish I could have said, “Making money.” Instead I told her, “I'm changing the world, one person at a time.” To which she deadpanned, “Oh, you're doing your blog...the wife is always the last to know!”

I dedicate this 100th post to all my readers and to my Dad who passed away last year but would have loved my rants and raves!