Thursday, August 2, 2007

Hey Buddy? The Cops Are Chasing Me. Can I Steal your Car?

Talk about a lack of gratitude. A passing motorist came to the aid of a man who'd just wrecked a stolen Corvette on a Long Island, NY Expressway exit ramp last week. The man then climbed out of the wrecked car, pushed aside James Scarabino, the well-intentioned motorist and good samaratin, and stole Scarabino's car.

It was early morning when a Suffolk County police highway patrol officer and a sergeant saw the 2007 Chevy Corvette speeding east on Long Island Expressway in Islandia. The vehicle took an exit, then, still speeding, got back onto the expressway in the opposite direction and rear-ended a Pontiac Grand Am, causing minor injuries to two occupants. The suspect then sped away from the damaged Pontiac and again exited the expressway. It was on the Exit 53 ramp that the suspect lost control of the Corvette, which flipped. That's when Scarabino came into the picture noticing the crash and that's when the suspect stole Scarabino's car. The two police officers observed the incident but were unable to get there in time to stop the ungrateful robber and Scarabino tried to stop the suspect from driving off but the thief kept going, dragging him a short distance. Scarabino's car was recovered later, abandoned at a gas station. The carjacker was still at large.

Scarabino was not injured, saying, "Obviously I thought, 'What am I doing? This isn't worth it.' And I let go," Scarabino said. "I hope the police catch him, and I hope he gets what he deserves." Now here's where this man shows true character. Scarabino said the incident won't keep him from helping people. "If something happened to my wife and kids, God forbid, I'd hope someone would stop. If I see something, I'm gonna stop," he said.

Your see, even in our insane world, there's still some good people out there!