Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Forget The Mall or Costco
Wal-Mart Is Now The Place To Go!

Hey, Debbie Gibson did it in the shopping mall, why not do it where the people buy your records? REO Speedwagon, a band that became a rock icon with No.1 hits "Can't Fight This Feeling" and "Keep On Loving You." They played giant stadiums in the 70's and 80's, but Friday they performed at a much different venue - a Wal-Mart in Eagan, Minnesota. The band is promoting its first new album in a decade and it has an exclusive deal with Wal-Mart.

Kevin Cronin and Bruce Hall performed a short acoustic set for a crowd of fans, most of them over 40. He played a few of the bands hits, signed some autographs and made a bunch of money. People came out in droves to see him. Now that is marketing. I mean, I would probably go see him there. I could get my shopping done and be entertained. Kill two birds with one stone.

Wal-Mart has an exclusive deal to sell a three-CD set that includes a DVD and some greatest hits. For two weeks it is the only place to buy the new music. "We're people-people," said lead singer Kevin Cronin, "and this is where people come to buy music."
Teaming up with a big retailer like Wal-Mart or Best Buy is the latest sales tactic by artists targeting adults.

He even came up with a special version of "I Can't Fight This Feeling." Check out these lyrics.

I cant fight this feeling any longer
And yet Im still afraid to let it show
I've been shopping a Target even longer,
I only wish I had the strength to let it show

I tell myself that I cant hold out forever
I said there is no reason for me not to go
Cause I feel that there prices are better
They give my life direction
They make their prices so clear

And even as I wander down those aisles
I'm looking for stuff priced right
I see toasters on aisle 16
And in 17 there's a fight
And I'm getting M&M's just like I thought I might

And I cant fight this feeling anymore
I've forgotten what I started shopping for
The choices make my my head spin forever,
I just hope they never, ever close their doors

Cause I cant fight this feeling anymore
I've forgotten what I started shopping for
And if I have to crawl upon the floor
Come crashing through your door
Walmart, I can't fight this feeling anymore

And I cant fight this feeling anymore
I just bought a device that make S'mores
I found toilet paper that I want
It's softer than the stuff at K-Mart

Cause I cant fight my feeling anymore
Ive become a fan of my local Wal-Mart store
You may think that I'm a whore
But I making so much more
Selling my CD by the front door
Wal-Mart, I just love your SuperCenter store!


Wow. that song was inspirational. I'm looking forward to the Rolling Stones playing at Costco. It's a slightly bigger venue and I can get some good steaks while I'm there. This new trend could be a lot of fun!