Saturday, April 21, 2007

Even Celebrities Are Idiots
Every Good Decision Should Start With a Stop

It's no surprise that most bad decisions -- the ones that mess up our lives -- are made impulsively or without sufficient reflection. Often don't have a lot of time to figure out what to do. Ancient proverbs warn us to "Count to ten when you're angry" or "Think ahead." But anger and the lack of preplanning are only two things that can impede excellent decision making. And it is this story that just shows how stupid people, even celebrities can be.

An enraged Alec Baldwin unleashed a tirade of threats and insults on his 11-year-old daughter, Ireland, calling her a "thoughtless little pig," and bashing her mother Kim Basinger. After his daughter failed to answer her father's scheduled morning phone call from New York on April 11, Alec went berserk on her voice mail, saying "Once again, I have made an ass of myself trying to get to a phone," adding, "you have insulted me for the last time." Baldwin then exercised his incredible parenting skills and took a shot at his ex-wife, declaring, "I don't give a damn that you're 12-years-old or 11-years-old, or a child, or that your mother is a thoughtless pain in the ass who doesn't care about what you do." The irate Baldwin went on to say, "You've made me feel like s**t" and threatened to "straighten your ass out. This crap you pull on me with this goddamn phone situation that you would never dream of doing to your mother," screamed Baldwin, "and you do it to me constantly over and over again."

Alec Baldwin swung back at wife Kim Basinger, slamming "certain people" who he says, "will go to any lengths to embarass me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter." Baldwin apologized for "losing my temper" but is "equally sorry that a court order was violated," and maintains that despite his now-public tirade he has friends and "respect from people I work with," and what he claims to be "a normal relationship" with daughter Ireland.

On his website statement, Baldwin tried to justify himself. Here's the statement in full:

Thank you to everyone who has posted messages of suppport and understanding. Naturally, it is not best for a parent to lose their temper with their child. Everyone who knows me privately knows that I have endured a great deal over the last several years in my custody litigation. Everyone who knows me privately knows that certain people will go to any lengths to embarass me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter.

In such public cases, your opponents attempt to take a picture of you on your worst day and insist that this is who you are as a person. Outside the doors of divorce court, I have friends, I have respect from people I work with and I have a normal relationship with my daughter. All of that is threatened whenever one enters a court room.

Although I have been told by numerous people not to worry too much, as all parents lose their patience with their kids, I am most saddened that this was released to the media because of what it does to a child. I'm sorry, as everyone who knows me is aware, for losing my temper with my child. I have been driven to the edge by parental alienation for many years now. You have to go through this to understand. (Although I hope you never do.) I am sorry for what happened. But I am equally sorry that a court order was violated, which had deliberately been put under seal in this case.

Once my book is published, I'm sure more people will understand the incredible strains created by parental alienation.

In the meantime, I'm sorry to anyone who's taken offense from this episode.



When it comes to quantifying the three-minute voice mail message left by Alec Baldwin for his daughter Ireland as part of an ongoing tiff with ex-wife Kim Basinger, the punch line is indeed "priceless." Maybe Baldwin should have videotaped the whole thing and released it as his next movie. I don't care how bad a kid is or how pissed off you are at your wife or ex-wife. Putting the kids in the middle, taking it out on them like this idiot has done, will have long lasting effects.

He claims to have a normal relationship with his daughter. Hell, I don't have this type of relationship with my enemies. Okay, maybe a few credit card companies, but you all understand, right? I sure hope not. Being a parent is one of the most important roles anyone can have. Kids learn from how their parents act. Parents are to protect their children. The events of this week at Virginia Tech show the effects of verbal, emotional and mental abuse.

I've lost a lot of respect for Alec Baldwin. He's proved himself to be a verbally bankrupt father. He goin to have to do alot of work to fix this one...in the courts and in his daughter's life. I hope he can reflect back and see what scars this whole mess has left. Not on me or you, but his precious, innocent daughter, Ireland. I think I should modify the title of this post for Mr. Baldwin...

Every Decision Starts With a Stop!