Saturday, July 14, 2007

Capitalism At It's Best: Beckham Mania Arrives In Los Angeles And The Bottom Line Is "Show Me Your American Money!"

In what has got to be the biggest, overhyped non-news story in Los Angeles, David Beckham was formally introduced as a member of the Los Angeles Galaxy Friday, and the British soccer star said he was looking forward to taking on the biggest challenge of his career. Hollywood Baby! "Now my family has now moved to Los Angeles -- something we're looking forward to, something we're very proud of. And in our life, everything is perfect." Sure Dave, you got a $20+ million house in Beverly Hills and Tom Cruise is your neighbor...what more could you want?

The soccer superstar's signing by the Galaxy is the latest attempt to increase the sport's popularity in the United States, where it has been met with a combination of apathy and a "who gives a crap" attitude by most Americans. Most of us Angelenos don't even realize that we've got a Soccer team. In most of the world, the sport is not even known as "soccer," and even Beckham stumbled as he spoke this morning, as he started to use the word "football" during his speech to the crowd. After catching himself and saying, "soccer," he chuckled and said, "I'll get used to that at some point. I'm sorry." I'm sure our Hispanic population are diggin' this hype and I can't wait to see the flags and total chaios on our local streets. Why in hell's name can't we get an NFL team?

Do you wonder why he's coming to America. Oops! I mean Hollywood. It's about the money. Show him the money. Beckham will be paid $6.5 million by the Galaxy this season, according to figures posted on the league's players' union Web site, and could make $250 million over the life of the contract, thanks to corporate sponsorships and profit-sharing deals. Yes folks, this overhyped athlete, who has been injured recently and is getting "old" in the pro athlete circles, will make over a quarter of a billion, yes, billion dollars! Ahhhh, capitalism. And his Hollywood career is just beginning.

Beckham and his Spice Girl wife, Victoria, aka Posh, arrived at Los Angeles International Airport Thursday night, met by paparazzi, television camera crews and fans. They did not answer questions.In the August issue of W magazine, the newest celebrities to hit the Hollywood paparazzi scene will pose for the cover of the issue, on newsstands July 20, and things will get more seductive in a photo spread inside. Steven Klein's photos show the pair in various states of undress — kissing passionately, sunning themselves atop a car and having an intimate moment in the bedroom. To add to the friggin' hype, the 32-year-old soccer star and his wife, Posh Spice of the Spice Girls, will be seen in an NBC special, "Victoria Beckham: Coming to America." "I think people are really going to see me for the first time," Victoria Beckham tells the magazine. "I think they have this impression that I'm this miserable cow who doesn't smile. But I'm actually quite the opposite."

I think that if Mr. Beckham is coming to the US to reap the benefits of our society and freedom, then the boy should act like he wants to be an American. Check out this quote! "In my career I've played for two of the biggest clubs ... in the world, Manchester United, Real Madrid," Beckham told reporters and cheering fans at The Home Depot Center. "And I've played for 11 years for my country and still am playing for my country. And I've always looked for challenges in my career and something exciting in my life.

Okay Mr. Beckham, you've had your 15 minutes. If the good old US of A isn't your country, then go back to the place where you can't make $1,000,000 per week! Oh the joy of American sports!